Some 700,000 Italian children deprived of enough food due to virus crisis

The coronavirus crisis in Italy is depriving around 700,000 children of sufficient food, Coldiretti, the country's main farmers' organisation said in a statement.

Economic hardship due to the health crisis had been made worse by the closure of schools, meaning that children from poor families no longer had access to canteen lunches, Coldiretti said. "The number of children under 15 that need assistance to get milk or food is now 700,000," the organisation stressed.

People being plunged into poverty by the crisis included dependents of seasonal and temporary workers, small business owners and tradesmen. Undocumented workers were also hard hit as typically they had no savings and did not qualify for state help.

Compounding the problem were rising food prices, with Coldiretti reporting an increase of 8.4% for fruit, 5% for vegetables and 4.1% for milk in April.

Meanwhile, hundreds of charitable associations across Italy are trying to help the poor. Coldiretti said 39% of Italians surveyed indicated they were ready to support their efforts with donations of money or food.

 

More on this subject: Coronavirus

Similar articles

  • Third arrest following Nice attack

    Third arrest following Nice attack

    A third person was taken into custody in France in connection with the knife attack which left three dead in Nice on Thursday, a police source said on Saturday. The arrest took place on Friday, Reuters reported.

    3
  • Belgium locks down amid new Covid-19 surge

    Belgium locks down amid new Covid-19 surge

    Belgium, home to the EU’s headquarters and NATO, announced tighter restrictions on social contacts and the closure for six weeks from Monday of businesses like hairdressers and shops which provide services not considered essential. It also extended November school holidays by an extra week, Reuters reported.

    18
  • France tightens security grip after Nice attack

    France tightens security grip after Nice attack

    France stepped up security to guard against Islamist attacks after the fatal stabbings at a church in Nice. President Emmanuel Macron deployed thousands of soldiers to protect sites including places of worship and schools, and the nation was at its highest level of security alert after the second deadly knife attack in its cities in two weeks, Reuters reported.

    14