Saudi Arabia extends entry ban amid coronavirus mutation fears

Saudi Arabia’s interior ministry on Monday extended a ban on entry to the kingdom by air, land and sea for another week amid concerns over a fast-spreading variant of the new coronavirus, the state news agency SPA reported.

Saudi Arabia shut its borders on Monday, 21 December, and suspended international commercial flights on a rolling weekly basis although foreign flights already in the country were allowed to leave. Last Sunday, health authorities also said any passenger who had returned from any country where the new strain had been detected, starting from 8 December, must self-isolate for 2 weeks from the date of entering the kingdom.

The ministry now said it is evaluating the situation while allowing non-citizens to leave the kingdom and allowing entry for exceptional cases, SPA reported.

The measures, however, do not affect the movement of goods.

According to Johns Hopkins University, 362,220 Covid-19 cases have been reported in the country.

More on this subject: Coronavirus

Similar articles