Kosovo ex-rebel denies war crimes

Photo: AP Salih Mustafa

A special tribunal in The Hague investigating allegations of atrocities committed by Kosovo rebels during the 1998-1999 conflict with Serbia opened its first case on Wednesday, news wires reported. The first defendant was a commander accused of torturing prisoners.

At the start of his trial, Salih Mustafa pleaded not guilty to charges of war crimes, comparing the court to the Nazi secret police. "I am not guilty of any of the counts brought here before me by this Gestapo office," Mustafa told judges. He faces charges of murder, accused of running a prison unit where inmates where subjected to daily beatings and torture.

Prosecutor Jack Smith said Mustafa's victims were fellow Kosovo Albanians "whose only crime was to have political views that differed from the KLA and its leaders". Mustafa's indictment says he personally took part in some of the beatings and torture and was present when a prisoner was so badly hurt that he later died.

The Kosovo Specialist Chambers, a Kosovo court seated in the Netherlands and staffed by international judges and lawyers, was set up in 2015 to handle cases under Kosovo law against fighters of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA). It is separate from a UN tribunal, which was also located in The Hague and tried Serbian officials for crimes committed in the same conflict.

The Kosovo tribunal's highest-profile suspect is former Kosovo President Hashim Thaci, who turned himself in last year to face charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Similar articles

  • Albania’s new government will be female dominated

    Albania’s new government will be female dominated

    Albania's parliament on Friday voted in the first cabinet to be dominated by women since the multi-party system was introduced 30 years ago, news wires reported. After a very long parliamentary session, Edi Rama was voted as PM for third time. His government consist of 12 women and only 5 men.

    72
  • At least 10 people died in a fire at Covid hospital in North Macedonia

    At least 10 people died in a fire at Covid hospital in North Macedonia

    Ten people died in a fire Wednesday evening at a hospital treating coronavirus patients in North Macedonia, news wires reported.The fire broke out following an explosion in a Covid-19 clinic in Tetovo in the northwest of the Balkan country, Prime Minister Zoran Zaev said. "A huge tragedy has occurred in the Tetovo Covid-19 centre," he said on Twitter. "An explosion caused a fire. The fire was extinguished but many lives were lost." Zaev immediately headed to Tetovo.

    68