Italy’s PM to test coalition's support over Recovery FundEuropost
Italy’s PM Giuseppe Conte announced on Monday he would start a round of talks as part of the process to "verify" if he still has the support of all the parties in the governing coalition, sources told ANSA.
This comes after ex-premier Matteo Renzi last week threatened to pull the plug on the executive by withdrawing the support of his centrist Italia Viva (IV) party. Renzi has been calling on Conte to drop the idea of forming a task-force on the use of the money Italy will get from the EU Recovery Fund, arguing there is a risk of parliament being sidelined. Conte said Friday that he will only stay on if he has the support of all of the parties that form the governing coalition. On Monday Conte dismissed concerns that the task force could end up side-lining parliament.
Meanwhile on Monday a panel of experts advising the government on its Covid-19 policies called for tougher measures than those currently planned for Christmas during a meeting with PM Giuseppe Conte. Italy's daily death toll is currently higher than Germany's, which has 20 million more inhabitants and has just announced a new lockdown. Experts also argued that Italy's health services are still under stress.
There is speculation that the government could declare all of Italy a red zone, meaning bars and restaurants and non-essential shops must close, during some days over the holidays.