Fake email for withdrawal of NATO troops sent to Lithuania

A fake email announcing the withdrawal of NATO forces from Lithuania was sent to Lithuanian Defence Minister Raimundas Karoblis, news wires reported. The ministry in Vilnius said on Wednesday that the message was sent out in the name of NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and was also received by Lithuanian media outlets and members of NATO head quarters in Brussels.

“This is another one in a series of attempts to turn the coronavirus crisis into a security crisis,” Karoblis said. The false information was aimed at discrediting the NATO allies and the organization itself, he said. As part of the increased protection of NATO's eastern flank, a multinational combat unit of around 450 soldiers, led by Germany, is currently stationed at Rukla military base in central Lithuania. The ministry said that “consequent attempts” to spread fake news linked to the coronavirus pandemic have been observed for several months.

Lithuania so far has reported 1,307 confirmed coronavirus cases and 38 deaths. The government in Vilnius declared a state of emergency and has put the whole country under lockdown until 27 April.

More on this subject: Coronavirus

Similar articles