Erdogan: Turkey plans to ease restrictions, but weekend curfew will remain

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday evening his government is working on a detailed plan to ease coronavirus restrictions, but warned that weekend lockdowns would most likely continue until after the end of the holy Muslim month of Ramadan in May, news wires reported.

In a televised address following a weekly Cabinet meeting, Erdogan said this week's curfew would start on Friday 1 May, Labor Day, which is a public holiday in Turkey. His remarks come amid a decline in the number of daily deaths and infections. On Monday, Turkish officials announced 95 deaths in the past 24 hours, the lowest since 11April. The total death toll now stands at 2,900, with 112,261 confirmed infections.

Erdogan also said Turkey will send personal protective equipment to the United States to help it combat the outbreak. Military planes, carrying N-95 masks, hazmat suits, goggles, facial shields and disinfectants, are due to leave for the US on Tuesday. Erdogan said Turkey has already dispatched medical equipment to 55 countries "from the Balkans to Africa."

The government has refrained from imposing a total lockdown, fearing its negative impact on the already fragile economy. It has opted for piecemeal measures instead, including weekend curfews and banning people aged over 65 or below 20 from leaving home.

Earlier, the Interior Ministry announced that authorities detained 402 people in the past 42 days for allegedly sharing "false and provocative" social media postings concerning the pandemic. A ministry statement said officials have inspected more than 6,000 social media accounts and the 402 suspects were among 855 account-holders sought by authorities for sharing "provocative" posts.

A ministry official told AP the social media users were detained for allegedly attempting to "cause panic" with posts that, among other things, accuse the government of not doing enough to curb the outbreak or of lying about the numbers of deaths or infections. The official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government regulations.


More on this subject: Coronavirus

Similar articles