Earth Hour goes ahead amid virus lockdown

Earth Hour takes place again this Saturday and the lights will be switched off on famous buildings and in millions of homes around the world to boost awareness of climate change. The initiative, started by environmental group the WWF in 2007, asks people, companies and local authorities to turn off lights for one hour from 8:30 pm local time in their town or city.

Organizers have decided to go ahead despite the world being in such flux due to the coronavirus pandemic, news wires reported. "Earth Hour 2020 will see people from all across the globe raise their voice to invite action on pressing environmental issues in their countries," organizers said in a statement on the Earth Hour website. Unprecedented digital events will mobilize millions of people online to participate in Earth Hour as never before. In order to comply with lockdown restrictions, the WWF has suggested activities at home, such as playing games by candlelight.

The symbolic effort started in 2007 in Sydney, Australia, when the WWF encouraged 2.2 million people to turn off their lights for one hour to support action on climate change. Since then, millions of people around the world have taken part. Landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Sydney Opera House, the Empire State Building, Buckingham Palace and the Colosseum also have gone dark for an hour.

Similar articles

  • WHO: Pandemic to be 'far more deadly' this year

    WHO: Pandemic to be 'far more deadly' this year

    The World Health Organization issued a grim warning on Friday that the second year of Covid-19 was set to be "far more deadly", as Japan extended a state of emergency amid growing calls for the Olympics to be scrapped, AFP reported. "We're on track for the second year of this pandemic to be far more deadly than the first," WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

    44
  • Pope Francis, Heiko Maas discuss sensitive issues in a private audience

    Pope Francis, Heiko Maas discuss sensitive issues in a private audience

    In the first private audience of a German foreign minister with pope in almost 20 years, Heiko Maas on Wednesday discussed with Pope Francis many issues as the latest flare-up in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the coronavirus pandemic, the future of the EU and Germany's Latin America policy and also the sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, dpa reported.

    40