Cyprus starts screening people in migrant camps for COVID-19Europost
Cyprus starts screening 10% of migrants confined at the country’s two migrant reception centres for COVID-19, news wires reported. Cypriot Interior Ministry senior official Loizos Michael told the Associated Press on Thursday that health care workers this week began carrying out tests on just over 100 migrants.
Michael said that so far there have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 among migrants who were confined at the centres in line with a strict, countrywide lockdown. The official said the migrants’ confinement will end in sync with a 21 May lifting on all restrictions on movement if the COVID-19 infection rate remains at the current, minimal level.
Cyprus has received some 3,000 migrants since the start of the year, with most arriving before the lockdown came into effect in late March. Cyprus to date counts almost 900 confirmed coronavirus cases and 15 deaths as a direct result of virus infection.