Croatia considers tourist corridors for Czechs

Croatia may give Czech tourists special access this summer to counter the impact of the coronavirus on its vital tourism industry, news wires reported. "We have already discussed with the Czech Republic that they prepare their proposals and we will prepare ours" for such an option, Tourism Minister Gari Cappelli told the state-run HRT radio on Tuesday.

An initiative for the creation of "tourist corridors" to Croatia was launched earlier this month by Czech tour operators, local media reported. The Czech tourists, who would need a certificate of not being infected with the novel virus, could travel to Croatia by road or plane this summer.

Croatia’s PM Andrej Plenkovic tweeted last week he had agreed with his Czech counterpart Andrej Babis that tourism ministers of the two countries should "propose an acceptable model for the arrival of Czech tourists this season". A similar model could apply to Austrian and Hungarian tourists also, local media said.

Croatia is particularly concerned about the impact of the confinement measures on its tourism industry which accounts for around 20% of GDP. Last year about 20m tourists visited Croatia, mainly on its stunning Adriatic coast. They included more than 700,000 Czechs.

However, the health officials voiced caution and said the arrival of tourists from countries having more cases of infected people than Croatia would not be allowed. Croatia reported 1,881 coronavirus cases, including 47 deaths.

The Balkan country of 4.2 million people has extended its partial lockdown measures, imposed in March, until 4 May. It has banned all public gatherings and closed all shops except for foodstores, pharmacies and petrol stations.

More on this subject: Coronavirus

Similar articles