Bocelli apologises for controversial comments on Covid-19

Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli apologised on Wednesday after coming under heavy fire for criticising the government's coronavirus restrictions at a conference at the Senate earlier this week, ANSA reported. During the conference Bocelli said he felt "humiliated and offended" by the limitations on freedom imposed during the Covid-19 lockdown.

He also admitted that he had violated the ban on going out of home during the lockdown."If my speech to the Italian Senate caused suffering, I wish to extend my sincere apologies, because my intention could not have been more different," Bocelli, who recovered after contracting the coronavirus himself, said on his Facebook page.

"The intent of my speech to the Italian Senate was to send a message of hope for a near future in which - children first and foremost - can find again a sense of normality and can hope to live as children, playing with and hugging one another, as they should at their age, and to be able to grow up happy and healthy”.

During the conference, Matteo Salvini, the leader of the opposition League party, refused to respect the obligation to wear a facemask, given that the meeting was held in an enclosed space.

The conference also featured the participation of Professor Alberto Zangrillo, the head of anesthesiology and intensive care at Milan's San Raffaele hospital, who has caused controversy by saying that Covid-19 has become significantly less potent than it was a few months ago.  

More on this subject: Coronavirus

Similar articles