North Korea may suspend nuclear talks with the US
It is also rethinking its ban on missile and nuclear tests unless Washington makes concessionsEuropost
North Korea is reportedly considering suspending nuclear talks with the United States and its leader may rethink a ban on missile tests, he have already imposed, a senior North Korean official said Friday.
Addressing a meeting of diplomats and foreign media in Pyongguang, North Korea's Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui said that the North was deeply disappointed by the failure of the two sides to reach any agreements at the Hanoi summit between Kim and President Donald Trump.
According to the official, who attended the 27-28 February talks in Hanoi, the leader of the Asian country - Kim Jong Un was puzzled by what she called the “eccentric” negotiation position of the US as she suggested that while Trump was more willing to talk, an atmosphere of hostility and mistrust was created by the uncompromising demands of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and National Security Adviser John Bolton. Choe also called the demand that denuclearisation come before sanctions are eased “an absurd sophism. As she claims, statements by senior Trump advisers since the end of the summit have further worsened the climate.
As a result she said that Kim has no intention of compromising or continuing talks unless the United States takes measures that are commensurate to the changes it has taken - such as the 15-month moratorium on launches and tests - and changes its “political calculation.”
“We have no intention to yield to the U.S. demands (at the Hanoi summit) in any form, nor are we willing to engage in negotiations of this kind,” Choe was quoted saying, adding that Kim is set to make an official announcement soon on his position regarding talks with Washington and the North’s further actions.
The comments run counter to optimism displayed by a U.S. negotiator this week, despite the collapse of last month’s talks in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi.