Irregular crossings into EU at 5-year low

Frontex: The total for 2018 was 92% below the peak of the migratory crisis in 2015

The number of illegal border-crossings at Europe’s external borders has fallen by a quarter in 2018 compared with 2017 to an estimated 150 000, the lowest level in five years, Frontex, the Warsaw-based  European Border and Coast Guard Agency, reported. The total for the last year was also 92% below the peak of the migratory crisis in 2015.

The agency explained that the drop was due to the dramatic fall in the number of migrants taking the Central Mediterranean route to Italy. The number of detections of irregular crossings on this route plunged 80% compared to 2017 to slightly more than 23 000.

The Central Mediterranean route saw the smallest number of irregular entries since 2012. The number of departures from Libya dropped 87% from a year ago, and those from Algeria fell by nearly a half. Departures from Tunisia stayed roughly unchanged. Tunisians and Eritreans were the two most represented nationalities on this route, together accounting for a third of all migrants.

According to the agency, the number of arrivals in Spain via the Western Mediterranean route doubled last year for the second year in a row to 57 000, making it the most active migratory route into Europe for the first time since Frontex began collecting data.

On the Western Mediterranean route, Morocco has become the main departure point to Europe. Most of the migrants on this route originated from sub-Saharan countries, although in recent months the number of Moroccan migrants has increased to become the top reported nationality. They were trailed by Guineans, Malians and Algerians.

The number of detections of illegal border-crossings on the Eastern Mediterranean route rose by nearly a third to 56 000. This was mainly caused by a higher number of migrants crossing the land border between Turkey and Greece, while the total number of detections in the Eastern Aegean Sea was roughly in line with 2017. Nevertheless, the number of arrivals registered in Cyprus more than doubled. Nationals of Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq accounted for the largest number of irregular migrants on the sea route in the Eastern Mediterranean, while Turkish nationals were the main nationality on the Turkish-Greek land border. 

Last year, Frontex for the first time began to collect detailed data on the gender and the age of irregular migrants. These showed that women accounted for 18% of all illegal border-crossings on entry from third countries. Nearly one in five of the detected migrants claimed to be under the age of 18, with close to 4 000 unaccompanied minors reported on entry at the EU external borders in 2018.

Similar articles

  • British PM in hectic search of a Brexit solution

    British PM in hectic search of a Brexit solution

    The House of Commons Speaker's decision caused constitutional crisis

    British PM Theresa May's Brexit plans were once again thrown in disarray on Tuesday after parliament's Speaker John Bercow denied putting her Brexit deal for a third vote after it was defeated twice by MPs. According to him, this could happen only after the PM changes her proposal substantially. Bercow said his ruling, based on a convention dating back to 1604, did not prevent the government reshaping its proposition, or securing a vote in parliament to override his ruling.

    8
  • La Scala will return controversial Saudi funding

    La Scala will return controversial Saudi funding

    La Scala will give back to Saudi investors over three million euros paid on condition of getting a member on the board of the iconic Milanese opera house, Milan Mayor and La Scala President Giuseppe Sala announced on Monday. "Back to square one. We'll return the money to the Saudis," Sala said, adding that the board had voted "unanimously" to refund over €3 million received so far.

    12
  • Salvini: Migrants rescued by NGO won't enter Italy

    Salvini: Migrants rescued by NGO won't enter Italy

    Italy's Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said on Tuesday that 49 asylum seekers rescued in the Mediterranean by an NGO-run ship flying the Italian flag will not be allowed to enter Italy. "They can be treated, dressed and fed," League leader Salvini told SkyTg24. "We can give them any kind of comfort but they will not set foot in Italy with my permission".

    9