Hundreds of migrants storm Spanish enclave fenceEuropost
Hundreds of migrants stormed last Sunday the fence dividing the Spanish enclave of Melilla from Morocco with about 200 sub-Saharan Africans managing to enter it, news wires reported. One man who climbed over the fence died of an apparent heart attack despite, while nineteen other were being treated for fractures or cuts sustained while scaling the fence, authorities said.
The border between Morocco and Spain's Melilla is cordoned off by two fences over six meters high and topped with barbed wire. Spanish PM Pedro Sanchez's government said in June that it would remove the barbed wire on top of the fences, but has not yet taken it down.
Spain has seen a spike in migrant arrivals this year, hundreds of whom have attempted to enter the European Union country through its two North African enclaves of Melilla and Ceuta. The vast majority, however, arrived in Spain after making the dangerous journey across the Mediterranean Sea in unsafe smugglers' boats.
According to the latest United Nations figures, over 48,800 migrants and refugees have entered Spain so far this year, more than Italy and Greece. Over 4,000 have entered Spanish territory in 2018 by crossing the fence into Melilla.