Germany clinches a deal with Italy to return migrants

German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer.

After weeks of negotiations Germany finalized an agreement with Italy to return migrants who are intercepted at the German border, German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said on Thursday, DPA reported. "The deal with Italy is closed. It is just missing two signatures, from the Italian colleague and from me," Seehofer told the German parliament, in reference to his counterpart, Matteo Salvini.

An Italian Interior Ministry source said Salvini would discuss the issue with Seehofer on Friday in Vienna, where both ministers are expected to attend an EU conference, and clarified the concept of "zero net effect." The ministry source explained that for 100 migrants returned from Germany to Italy, 100 migrants presently in Italy would have to be redistributed to other EU nations, leading to a "zero" net change in Italian migrant numbers. Salvini has said that he would sign a deal with Germany only if it did not lead to Italy "having to take care of a single additional migrant."

Italy has been a first port for many migrants coming to the EU, and the bloc's rules stipulate that incomers should seek asylum in the first EU country they set foot in. But many migrants after arrival in Italy went to Germany. Earlier this year, Chancellor Angela Merkel avoided the break-up of her coalition and promised deals to send back migrants to the EU nations where they first registered as asylum seekers. Seehofer, a hardliner on migration, had threatened to start unilaterally turning away migrants at Germany's southern border in what Merkel feared would have created tensions with neighbouring countries. So far Berlin has managed to clinch return agreements with Portugal, Spain and Greece.

 

Similar articles

  • Prosecutor’s Office countermands controversial decision to erase Telegraph trademark

    Prosecutor’s Office countermands controversial decision to erase Telegraph trademark

    The Sofia City Prosecutor’s Office (SCPO) has reversed the order issued by Prosecutor Todor Todorov of the Sofia District Prosecutor’s Office (SDPO) for the Telegraph trademark to be erased, the administrative head of the SCPO Zornitsa Taskova has announced. The decision for the order to be cancelled on the grounds of being irregular is dated 17 June. The case has been returned to the SDPO for another ruling.

    5
  • Authorities raid offices of oligarch Prokopiev

    Authorities raid offices of oligarch Prokopiev

    The operation is in relation to the illegal privatisation of Kaolin

    The Specialised Prosecutor’s Office has raided an office building in downtown Sofia housing office spaces of Alfa Finance Holding, a consultancy affiliated with the oligarch Ivo Prokopiev. The company was raided under a court order issued as part of the money laundering case connected to the sale of the mining company Kaolin – a charge that was brought up against Prokopiev back in October 2018.

    36
  • Editors-in-chief of Telegraph Media meet Prosecutor General

    Editors-in-chief of Telegraph Media meet Prosecutor General

    The editors-in-chief of Telegraph Media group, Vasil Zahariev of Telegraph newspaper, Lyubomira Budakova of Monitor newspaper and agency, Natalia Radoslavova deputy editor-in-chief of Monitor Agency, Christie Petrova of Politika newspaper and chair of the editorial board of Meridian Match Angel Kishin met with Prosecutor General Sotir Tsatsarov to discuss the unprecedented attack against the most popular newspaper in Bulgaria.

    32