French PM proposes new law to tackle unrest

Photo: EPA Edouard Philippe before making "public order" announcements at TF1 studios, 7 January.

French PM Edouard Philippe on Monday unveiled plans to ban participation in unauthorised demonstrations as the government scrambles to try to end weeks of violent “Yellow Vest” protests, news wires reported.

Philippe said the government would back a “new law punishing those who do not respect the requirement to declare protests, those who take part in unauthorised demonstrations and those who arrive at demonstrations wearing face masks”. He also announced plans to ban “troublemakers” known to the authorities from taking part in demonstrations, in the same way known football hooligans in the past had been banned from stadiums. “That measure worked well,” he said, referring to the stadium ban. According to him the troublemakers have to pay for damage caused to businesses and property during the protests. On Saturday, demonstrators used a construction site vehicle to smash open the doors of a government building. A former professional boxer was also caught on camera beating up police officers.

“Those who question our institutions will not have the last word,” Philippe said, announcing plans to deploy 80,000 security force members nationwide for the next Yellow Vest demonstration expected at the weekend.

Similar articles

  • British PM in hectic search of a Brexit solution

    British PM in hectic search of a Brexit solution

    The House of Commons Speaker's decision caused constitutional crisis

    British PM Theresa May's Brexit plans were once again thrown in disarray on Tuesday after parliament's Speaker John Bercow denied putting her Brexit deal for a third vote after it was defeated twice by MPs. According to him, this could happen only after the PM changes her proposal substantially. Bercow said his ruling, based on a convention dating back to 1604, did not prevent the government reshaping its proposition, or securing a vote in parliament to override his ruling.

    8
  • La Scala will return controversial Saudi funding

    La Scala will return controversial Saudi funding

    La Scala will give back to Saudi investors over three million euros paid on condition of getting a member on the board of the iconic Milanese opera house, Milan Mayor and La Scala President Giuseppe Sala announced on Monday. "Back to square one. We'll return the money to the Saudis," Sala said, adding that the board had voted "unanimously" to refund over €3 million received so far.

    12
  • Salvini: Migrants rescued by NGO won't enter Italy

    Salvini: Migrants rescued by NGO won't enter Italy

    Italy's Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said on Tuesday that 49 asylum seekers rescued in the Mediterranean by an NGO-run ship flying the Italian flag will not be allowed to enter Italy. "They can be treated, dressed and fed," League leader Salvini told SkyTg24. "We can give them any kind of comfort but they will not set foot in Italy with my permission".

    9