EU top diplomats condemn foreign interference in Libya

Photo: EPA (L-R) EU Foreign Policy Chief Josep Borrell, French FM Jean-Yves Le Drian, German FM Heiko Maas, Italian FM Luigi Di Maio and British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, Brussels, 7 January.

The European Union's top diplomat and the foreign ministers of Britain, France, Germany and Italy condemned on Tuesday Turkey's plans to send military experts and trainers to Libya to support Libya’s internationally recognized government, news wires reported.

After postponing a trip to Tripoli over safety concerns, the ministers and EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell held talks in Brussels to call for a ceasefire as Libya's internationally recognised government struggled to fend off a military offensive on its power base in the capital. "Continuing outside interference is fuelling the crisis," the ministers and Borrell said in their joint statement released after the meeting.

In remarks to reporters, Borrell said: "It is obvious that this made a reference to the Turkish decision to intervene with their troops in Libya, which is something that we reject."

Turkey will send military experts and technical teams to support Libya's internationally recognised government, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Monday, a day after President Tayyip Erdogan said Turkish military units were moving to Tripoli. Turkey supports the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), while Russia backs eastern-based commander Khalifa Haftar, whose forces hold much of the country's east and south including its second city Benghazi. They are making a renewed attempt to take Tripoli.

"There is a proxy war under way. All interferences have to stop. There are countries that interfere with a civil war, turning it into a proxy war," Italy's Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio told reporters in Brussels before travelling to Turkey to meet his Turkish counterpart Cavusoglu. The EU had hoped to send a diplomatic mission to Libya to train Libyan officials and build up institutions in support of the GNA, but that has been deemed too dangerous for now, diplomats said. Di Maio, along with the Egyptian, French, Greek and Cypriot foreign ministers, are due to discuss their next steps in Cairo on Wednesday.

Similar articles

  • Tension with Turkey over off Cyprus drilling rises

    Tension with Turkey over off Cyprus drilling rises

    Pre-accession aid cut by 75%, other sanctions considered

    The EU once again urged Turkey last week to drop plans to drill for oil and gas around Cyprus and the eastern Mediterranean, saying such exploration was illegal, news wires reported. “Concrete steps towards creating an environment conducive to dialogue in good faith are needed,” EU foreign policy spokesman Peter Stano said in a statement. “The intention by Turkey to launch further exploration and drilling activities in the region goes, regrettably, in the opposite direction.”

    15
  • EU foreign ministers consider restoring Libya naval mission

    EU foreign ministers consider restoring Libya naval mission

    European foreign ministers met on Monday in Brussels to discuss reviving a naval mission in the Mediterranean in order to enforce an arms embargo against Libya's warring parties, news wires reported. On Sunday Germany hosted a summit to push for a ceasefire in the country, gripped by civil war since the 2011 overthrow of dictator Moamar Gaddafi.

    21
  • Germany, Britain, France launch a dispute mechanism against Iran

    Germany, Britain, France launch a dispute mechanism against Iran

    Britain, France and Germany announced on Tuesday they are launching a dispute mechanism against Iran for breaking its commitments under the 2015 nuclear accord, which could ultimately lead to revived sanctions against Tehran, dpa reported. The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), as the deal is formally known, was agreed in 2015 between Iran and world powers. It has been in jeopardy ever since the US announced its unilateral withdrawal from the deal in 2018.

    23