EU reacts on Turkish Parliament decision

The European Union expresses its strong concern about Turkey’s Grand National Assembly’s decision on Thursday, 2 January, to authorise military deployments in Libya, reads a statement by the spokesperson for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy that was just issued.

“The EU reiterates its firm conviction that there is no military solution to the Libyan crisis. Actions supporting those who are fighting in the conflict will only further destabilise the country and the wider region,” the text says. 

The spokesperson recalls that “it is imperative for all international partners to respect fully the UN arms embargo and to support the efforts of the United Nations Special Representative Ghassan Salamé and the Berlin process, as the only avenue towards a peaceful, stable and secure Libya.”

The statement also says that the EU will maintain an active engagement in support of all de-escalatory measures and steps leading to an effective ceasefire and the resumption of political negotiations.

Similar articles

  • Tension with Turkey over off Cyprus drilling rises

    Tension with Turkey over off Cyprus drilling rises

    Pre-accession aid cut by 75%, other sanctions considered

    The EU once again urged Turkey last week to drop plans to drill for oil and gas around Cyprus and the eastern Mediterranean, saying such exploration was illegal, news wires reported. “Concrete steps towards creating an environment conducive to dialogue in good faith are needed,” EU foreign policy spokesman Peter Stano said in a statement. “The intention by Turkey to launch further exploration and drilling activities in the region goes, regrettably, in the opposite direction.”

    15
  • EU foreign ministers consider restoring Libya naval mission

    EU foreign ministers consider restoring Libya naval mission

    European foreign ministers met on Monday in Brussels to discuss reviving a naval mission in the Mediterranean in order to enforce an arms embargo against Libya's warring parties, news wires reported. On Sunday Germany hosted a summit to push for a ceasefire in the country, gripped by civil war since the 2011 overthrow of dictator Moamar Gaddafi.

    21
  • Germany, Britain, France launch a dispute mechanism against Iran

    Germany, Britain, France launch a dispute mechanism against Iran

    Britain, France and Germany announced on Tuesday they are launching a dispute mechanism against Iran for breaking its commitments under the 2015 nuclear accord, which could ultimately lead to revived sanctions against Tehran, dpa reported. The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), as the deal is formally known, was agreed in 2015 between Iran and world powers. It has been in jeopardy ever since the US announced its unilateral withdrawal from the deal in 2018.

    23